The Tarragona Prosecutor's Office is requesting 22 years in prison for a 44-year-old man accused of killing his partner in Calafell and subsequently hiding the body in the trunk of his car. The case will be tried by a jury in the Fourth Section of the Provincial Court of Tarragona.
The prosecution maintains that the accused, who had been diagnosed with an adjustment disorder with depressed mood and a severe personality disorder, had intact cognitive and volitional capacities when the events occurred. In addition to the sentence for aggravated murder and the aggravating factor of gender contempt, the public ministry is also seeking seven years of supervised release.
The Prosecutor's Office places the crime during an argument that began at 10:00 AM in Calafell
The Prosecutor's Office states that the accused had a four-year relationship with the victim and that they lived together for four months in the Valldemar urbanization in Calafell. During that period, the document adds, the man exercised control over the woman and told her that if she wasn't his, she wouldn't be anyone's.
On April 18 of last year, after an argument that began around 10:00 AM at their home, the accused assaulted her and hit her skull with a stone that caused severe traumatic brain injury, according to the public ministry's version.
The accused drove to Onda and surrendered hours later on the AP-7 in Constantí
After the death, the accused placed the body in the trunk of a Ford Mondeo and traveled to Onda, in Castelló. There he bought a mop handle, latex gloves, and bleach with the intention of cleaning bloodstains.
Hours later, around 6:30 PM, he stopped the vehicle in front of a Mossos d'Esquadra patrol at kilometer 249 of the AP-7, in the municipality of Constantí. At that moment, he told the officers that he wanted to surrender and that he had killed his wife.
The sentencing request also includes a prohibition from communicating with or approaching within one kilometer of the victim's mother and three children for 22 years. The accused has been in preventive detention since April 18, 2025.
In terms of civil liability, the Prosecutor's Office is seeking compensation of 200,000 euros for the deceased's adult children and 300,000 euros for her minor daughter.